Friday, August 3, 2007

I'm Speechless

Well, Susan's in. She's been in since Wednesday. But we're not really settled yet.

Yesterday morning, she told me that I snore. Well, she rolls and kicks. I'm not sure that the double bed we have will be big enough.

But that's really just a small problem, and easy to deal with, compared to other issues. You see, last night, she wet the bed.

That was my first reaction, too.

So there we were, cleaning up at 2:30 in the morning. Fortunately, the apartment has a washer and dryer in it. I ran the laundry and scrubbed the mattress while she took a shower.

You know, I thought that I was ready for just about any surprise, living with someone for the first time, but that one caught me completely off guard.

Susan was pretty broken up about it. She started crying when she got out of the shower and saw the mattress. I don't think she believed me when I told her that everything would be OK, because she wanted to talk about it.

If there is anything I have learned in my time on God's green earth, it's that if the girl wants to talk about something, and she's crying, you need to listen. And let her cry on your shoulder. It doesn't matter if it's 3 o'clock in the morning, and your 24 year old girlfriend just wet the bed and wants to talk about that, you just listen.

And if she wants to go on and talk about the whole history of her bladder problems, in excruciating detail, and how she wet the bed until she was sixteen, and she's sorry that she didn't warn you before moving in but it hadn't happened in years, you have to listen to that, too.

And if she keeps going, and tells you all about the times she wet her pants in her junior and senior years of high school, and even peed in her car once last fall because she just couldn't get home from work in time, you even have to listen to that.

And you have to tell her that it really will be OK, and you're not upset, and it doesn't really change anything (because it doesn't, really; she's still Susan, just a little damper). And make sure to tell her how much you love her.

When she left for work a few minutes ago, she told me that she'll understand if I don't want her to come back. I told her that was silly. As soon as the stores open, I'm going out to buy some roses for the table, and some salmon fillets. She doesn't know it yet, but we're having her favorite honey-mustard salmon tonight. Because she's Susan, and deserves the best.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Wow, I think you handled that one extremely well!

August 3, 2007 at 7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With all the things that can go wrong in life, I hope she realizes how trivial something like that is. My wife developed a brain tumor after we had been married 19 years. THAT's a PROBLEM. It was successfully removed but the whole ordeal aged us both considerably. Tell your lady this "problem" doesn't register on the scale. Glad you were kind to her about it.

August 3, 2007 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger carl r said...

Wow, that is a problem. I'm glad that she recovered. How long has it been since?

I guess it's hard to look at live that way, from your 20's, though. Everything seems to still be up ahead.

August 3, 2007 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Wow!

Hermit is right!

After all, mattresses can be cleaned, and for a paltry sum!

Kudos to you for the flowers/dinner. You're a heckuva nice guy. Susan was (is/will be for awhile) just mortified!

August 3, 2007 at 11:28 AM  
Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

roses and dinner?..perfect!!..youre doin great dude!!! Heh

August 3, 2007 at 12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was pretty sweet of you. you're boh lucky to have each other.

August 3, 2007 at 3:09 PM  
Blogger Angel said...

OMG....I think I love you!!!

at first, I was like, "Oh no she dinnit!!" but if she has bladder problems, and has had them all her life, that's an entirely different story.

and you are being a PRINCE about all of this. that is not an easy thing to wake up to...I know...my kids used to sleep with us and they ALWAYS wet my bed, and I'd wake up soaked and smelling like pee....but you are being so good about it.

and the salmon sounds delish, even tho I hate fish.

Way to go!!!!

August 3, 2007 at 7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been about seven years now I think. She had to go back for an MRI every year the first three years, now just every third year. Nothing will focus your senses on how much your wife means to you like the sudden possibility of losing her. Since then, it takes an awful lot to get me to worry about anything at all.

August 5, 2007 at 12:04 AM  
Blogger Airam said...

Seriously you're a great boyfriend!

October 14, 2007 at 4:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home