Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's off to Work I Go

I'm just posting a quick piece here, before I head off to work.

I'm pretty happy about it; I mentioned in my last post that I'm a freelance marketing writer, and I just got a big job in. I'll be spending the next couple of days at the client's office, getting details and documents, and taking notes, and then it's back home to write it up.

Last night, I went out with Susan's competition. That's really just our little joke. I took my 12 year old niece to get some ice cream. We went to Coldstone. It's not as good as the Penn State dairy outlet, but it is pretty good.

And what does a 26 year old guy do with a 12 year old? We talked about my brother, of course! She's been coming to me for advice for the last couple of years.... I'm 11 years younger than my brother, and 5 years younger than our sister, so Dana (my neice) just kind of gravitated to me because we were the closest in age, and I wasn't her father.

Her father, my brother, is a bum. He's been divorced for 3 years, and unemployed for 2, and he's living at my sister's house. The divorce hit him hard, but he never really tried to find work after he lost his job. Last month, he spent a couple of days in jail over unpaid child support.

These are the kind of things Dana wanted to talk about, over chocolate milkshakes. When I have kids, I think I'll be ready for the teenage years.

I'd post more, but I gotta run. The client is expecting me at 11.

2 Comments:

Blogger Angel said...

Hello carl R!! thanks for stopping by my blog...and I just gotta say... I wish I had an uncle like you1 You sound fantastic and I bet you'll be a great dad one day.

I'm not crazy about coldstone....is that against the law or something? ;) It's TOO MUCH for me....too sweet, too rich, too much$$$$$ everything!

Dana is alucky girl to have you.

July 18, 2007 at 6:28 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Coldstone has a birthday club, y'know... Free ice cream once a year!

Anyway, I've got a brother like that, too. He won't work or move out of our mother's house. He has a kid, but doesn't pay support...

I guess there's always a black sheep.

You just want to shake him!

July 19, 2007 at 10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home