Tuesday, July 31, 2007

It's My Life

Well, I haven't posted in a while, and a lot has been going on, so what to tell first?

Susan will be moving in tomorrow. We spent the weekend getting her stuff into the place, and rearranging things (my life), and buying new sheets. We also bought a little table to put out on the balcony. It's only a two-story building, so it's not like there's a great view, but hey, what can go wrong with breakfast out on the balcony?

Honestly, we've been discussing this for a while, and we both want it, but the thought of living with someone (even her!) is putting some serious butterflies in my belly.

I could be nerves from something else, though. I got a job offer, from a company that I freelanced with last year. They want me to take over for their senior copywriter while she's on maternity leave, and they've hinted that they'll keep me when she comes back.

This actually makes me more nervous than living with my girlfriend. I've been freelancing for 3 years now; the last "jobby-job" I had was back in college, at the bookstore. I don't know how I'll do, keeping to a regular schedule, and trekking to an office every day.

Still, it'll be a regular paycheck, with tax withholdings. No more figuring the taxes myself, and paying the whole nut to Social Security (which won't be there for me anyway). I've got another week to make the decision, which is good. I'm thinking of taking it, as soon as I wrap up the project I'm working on now.

And didn't I once say that I wouldn't let this blog be about my work? Ha ha, I guess I lied about that....

How about I talk about some news, then? I
read this on Yahoo:

Police discovered the body of a second South Korean hostage slain by the Taliban in central Afghanistan while the group threatened Tuesday to kill more hostages if their demands were not met by Wednesday, the latest of several deadlines.


You know, does anyone else but me think that this just makes the Taliban look like a bunch of medieval barbarians? They seem to be dragging this out to put pressure on the Afghan government, but the Afghans aren't releasing the prisoners. The only people feeling pressured are the South Koreans, who want their people back, but they have no leverage with the Afghan government. So it looks like the Taliban are going to kill 23 people for nothing, except a PR disaster.

What really gets me, though, is this, at the end of the article:

On Sunday, Karzai and other Afghan officials tried to shame the Taliban into releasing the female captives by appealing to a tradition of cultural hospitality and chivalry. They called the kidnapping of women "un-Islamic."

First, the Taliban are holding and killing hostages. They seem to have no shame. And second, and again, this could just be me, if the kidnapping of women is "un-Islamic," does that mean that the kidnapping of men is OK?

These are some seriously screwed up folks in Afghanistan....

6 Comments:

Blogger Brooke said...

Good luck to the two of you!

Breakfast on the balcony is great. My hubby and I used to do that when we first got married and lived in an apartment.

Good luck, too, with your jobby-job! You sound like you want to take it!

As for the Taliban...

I'm sure that the "un-Islamic" Talibanis didn't loose one wink of sleep over murdering a Christian, and a female one at that!

Were I the Afghani gov't, I would go in and kill them all, regardless of the hostage situation. If the terrorist types realized that hostage taking NEVER WORKS, perhaps they wouldn't be so quick to take them.

July 31, 2007 at 9:22 AM  
Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

Brooke is right...beheadings is all in a days work for them!..thanks for the visit to my site..come again!

July 31, 2007 at 9:28 AM  
Blogger Angel said...

good luck living with your girlfriend...you know the sex stops after she moves in, right?

July 31, 2007 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

There are some advantages to working a FT job (regular pay, built in insurance, no self emplyment taxes, etc) but it is an adjustment after being independent. I just went through that transition and I'm happy to report all is well.

Best to you both on the new cohabitation adventure, its a great way to really learn about someone. Remember to breathe :)

Hmm, I wonder if its un-Islamic for Muslims in Lebanon to kill other Muslims in Lebanon. Oh, and for that matter I wonder if its un-Islamic for Palestinians to gun down other Palestinians in Gaza. Are the Afghans kidding us and themselves with that strategy?

July 31, 2007 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger Bald Headed Geek said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and I will link to you on my blogroll! :-)

BHG

August 1, 2007 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger carl r said...

Brooke:
I do want that job, yes...

If the terrorist types realized that hostage taking NEVER WORKS, perhaps they wouldn't be so quick to take them.

I think you're right, but it would take a lot of luck to hit the right hideout. Why not just execute the people they want released?

Beth:
Well, so far the sex hasn't stopped... ;)

Jim:
I'm definitely seriously considering the transition. And I'm breathing.
And I don't know who the Afghans are kidding. But it isn't funny.

August 1, 2007 at 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home