Thursday, December 13, 2007

Breathing Again

Susan told me that we're going out for dinner tonight. No ifs, ands, or buts about it, she said, we're going out.

I think she's trying to get me to feel less miserable, and I appreciate it, but it's freezing-ass cold out, and they're expecting snow for the weekend. I'd rather stay in. If I have to go out, I'm just gonna stock up on hot chocolate, and maybe a little Bailey's to go with it, and perhaps a few good salmon fillets, and that's it. It's winter, and we'll spend the nights in. Besides, I really don't feel like going out lately.... Anyway, we've got a good apartment for getting cozy on a cold night. It's an older building, with steam heat, and did I ever mention that it has a fireplace?

She and I will have to discuss 'stay in' versus 'go out,' preferably in front of the fireplace, with mugs of hot chocolate, while the honey-poached salmon is cooking.

I took the day off of work today, and tomorrow too, so I could finish clearing out my brother's stuff over at my sister's place. His old basement room looks bland now, with no personality left to it. I guess it goes back to being the guest room.

And remember that I said he left behind some credit card bills? Well, Visa's being a dick about it, and we have to pay up. My sister, my parents, and I are just splitting it up and covering it. It's easier than arguing with them. My share comes to $417.

I really hate credit cards. When they were invented, in the 1950s, they must have had a sort of cachet: "I don't have the money now, but these people have it for me!" Nowadays, the requirements to get a credit card have been reduced down to pretty much just a pulse. Even a chronically semi-employed, semi-homeless drudge like my brother had a $1200 credit account, and he was even over the limit on it!

Well, I'm don't feel like heading off on a rant right now, that's probably related to why I don't feel like going out tonight, too, so I'll just get the salmon started. It'll help convince Susan to stay in.

G'night!

4 Comments:

Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

hiya Carl~!..you wouldnt go out if u were in NYC!..its hailing!..ha

December 13, 2007 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Oh, cold is totally a reason to stay in. In fact, you should stay in and set an extra plate for me, since that honey poached salmon is sounding pretty good! :)

December 13, 2007 at 8:33 PM  
Blogger Airam said...

Staying in always outweighs going out when the weather is so cold out. Let us know how the salmon was. ;)

December 16, 2007 at 6:39 PM  
Blogger carl r said...

Staying in was nice. The salmon was good, too.

Equal parts honey and plain yellow mustard, mixed and then thinned out with water.

Lay the salmon fillets I(from the tail, preferably) in a foil pan, pour the mixture over them as you would water for poaching.

Sprinkle liberally with black pepper.

Cover, put in the oven at 300 F until the fish flakes.

Serve with lemon, and bottle of Emerald Reisling.

Works every time.

December 19, 2007 at 4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home